art theorist links
All of the provided activities are constructed using a variety of theoretical frameworks including the following:
Links to the Vce Curriculum
The Discussing and Debating Art website has been modeled on the guidelines of Victorian Certificate of Education Study Design for Art 2010 – 2014 for Unit 4 Art Area of Study 1: Discussing and debating art. All the provided activities are designed to help students discuss and debate art around the issue of ‘the representation of the body’ through varying interpretations of the role of art in society. Student will be provided with appropriate information about the selected artwork however it is encouraged that they conduct their own research to help with their analysis and interpret of artworks through the scaffolding questions. The questions are created to complement commentaries and aspects of the Analytical Frameworks, providing structure for their analysis, opinions and arguments with reference to the artists and artworks in order to support their points of view.
In order for students to achieve Unit 4 Art Area of Study 1: Discussing and debating art they must draw on the Key Knowledge and Key Skill as dictated by the Victorian Certificate of Education Study Design for Art 2010 – 2014. They consist of the following points:
• Ideas, issues and/or arguments expressed in commentaries on art about the meanings and messages of artworks;
• A range of relevant resources to support research;
• Opinions and viewpoints expressed in commentaries on an idea and issue about art;
• Art language appropriate to discussion and debate;
• Relevant aspects of each of the Analytical Frameworks.
• Discuss, debate and compare two or more viewpoints regarding an issue about art;
• Use a range of resources including commentaries to examine, debate and evaluate diverse interpretations of an art issue;
• Develop a personal point of view on issues about art and support with evidence and reference to the opinions of others;
• Refer to a range of artworks and commentaries to support a point of view;
• Use appropriate art language and vocabulary
• Use relevant aspects of the Analytical Frameworks.
Form more information about the Victorian Certificate of Education Study Design for Art 2010 – 2014 and Unit 4 Art Area of Study 1: Discussing and debating art please refer to the attached document.